Salt Lake City Bankruptcy Dos & Don'ts
Helping You Avoid Common Bankruptcy Mistakes
Whether you have made the decision to file for bankruptcy or are still
weighing your options, we can help guide you in the direction that is
right for you. Our centrally located
Salt Lake City bankruptcy attorneys at
Enderton & Mathews, LLC know how stressful it is to deal with debt and the resulting uncertainty.
By choosing to work with our firm as you seek debt relief, you can rest
assured you will have our knowledge and experience on your side.
To schedule a free consultation, please
contact us today!
The Dos and Don'ts of Bankruptcy
- Don’t make any preferential transfers such as paying money to family
- Don’t use your credit cards;
- Don't obtain cash advances;
- Don’t purchase luxury items or any other item costing more than $200.00
within 90 days of filing.
- Do list all your Bankruptcy paperwork and do list all debts, including
those to friends, family, or other “insiders”
- Don’t pay debts to unsecured creditors that you are trying to protect;
- Don’t sell, transfer, or give property to anyone without talking to us;
- Do tell is if you are about to receive an inheritance or large insurance
- Don’t try to hide income, assets, or debts;
- Don’t convert exempt assets to non-exempt assets before filing, such
as cashing out retirement plans or 401ks.
- Don’t incur more debt in an attempt to avoid bankruptcy such as taking
out a second mortgage unless you KNOW it will help you avoid bankruptcy;
- Don’t take out “payday loans;”
- Do tell your Bankruptcy Attorney about liens on your home. If you tell
us about them it is possible they can be addressed in such a way that
the lien is extinguished;
- Don’t misrepresent any facts to us or the Bankruptcy Court. It is
easier to deal with the facts as they are than it is to deal with the
fact you failed to disclose something;
Please make sure we discuss any of the above issues as it is likely that
we can help you resolve the problem before you file your bankruptcy.
We're Ready to Help - Call Enderton & Mathews Today
The most important thing to consider when you are filing for bankruptcy
is to take it seriously. Working with a centrally located Salt Lake City
bankruptcy lawyer from our firm who can guide you through the steps is
highly advisable. Any actions you take from now until the time you file
will be viewed and possibly considered by the court when they make decisions.
It is important to avoid any actions which could be questionable or seem
fraudulent.If possible, talk to us before you take action that could have
harmful consequences in your bankruptcy. Let us help you make some pre-bankruptcy
We would like to offer you a free case consultation. Call us now at (801) 701-8644 to get started.